Wednesday 17 November 2010

Kevin Smith buries hatchet with Tim Burton


Film-maker Kevin Smith has backtracked over his claims earlier this week that Tim Burton's restyled Planet of the Apes "stole" the ending from one of his old Jay and Silent Bob comic books.

The director of Dogma and such low budget wonders as Clerks and Chasing Amy told reporters he was just kidding about when the comments appeared in the New York Post. Writing on his website, www.viewaskew.com, Smith said: "Lest anyone think some sort of holy jihad is brewing betwixt me and the mighty Tim, I'd like to set the record straight. No, I do not think the Planet of the Apes ending was stolen... nor am I thinking about taking anyone to court."
The monkey business started after Smith made some off-the-cuff remarks to the Post after seeing Burton's surprise ending, which he alleged bore striking similarities to a panel from one of his comic books. "My jaw hit the ground when I saw that scene," Smith told the Post. "I think I got robbed and I'm talking with my lawyers about possibly suing."
This prompted a rapid rebuttal from Burton, who stressed he hadn't seen the comic book, didn't read comic books and - wait for it - "I especially wouldn't read anything that was created by Kevin Smith."
Not surprisingly, the two have history. Burton rejected a Smith-penned Superman script some time back and since then the pair have steered clear of each other.
But now Smith has apologised and probably wants to bury his head in the sand after a tempestuous few days. Last week he was forced to make a donation to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation after claims that his forthcoming feature, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, which is due out in the States next week, is homophobic.
                                                                    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2001/aug/15/news1
This comment by Burton "This prompted a rapid rebuttal from Burton, who stressed he hadn't seen the comic book, didn't read comic books" This quote explains Tim Burton's Batman

No comments:

Post a Comment